Thursday, July 3, 2008

the truth about the summertime this year around

so i think that the first thing that i'll cover in this blog is probably the floods. i don't think that they were as bad as the media would like you to think. while it was bad enough that i had to drive 45 minutes to get to a town that is only 15 minutes away, i think that it could have been a lot worse. it still was pretty bad. one of the main roads into albion had so much water flowing over it that the water tore the road away in parts. it wasn't just an inch or two. i was going to ride my bike through it but when the water was half way up the bike and i was only a third of the way through i decided to turn around. it was three to five feet deep across that road. suck! the affect that it has on the economy could be huge. corn production has gone down because most farmers didn't have time to plant before the floods, and those that did had there seeds washed away in some parts. i think to find out how much damage the floods caused will have to wait until we see the yields in the fall.
so the second thing of bad news. i found out today that production is so slow at the factory that if we don't get any new orders in there will be layoffs. they will start with the temps, so a lot of the day crew will go home. then they're goingt to start with the night shift part timers. it goes in order of whosever been there the shortest amount of time. oh yeah, that would be ME! that really sucks. if i can't detassel this year i need this job. i need it to last until around the first week of august. it's only going to be the second week of july and they are talking about layoffs. that's what you would call bad luck.
so for one of the last truths about summer in this post i turn to family. i have to admit that when i first came home i thought that things were going well in my family. they all seemed happy and there for each other and so on. one night i was getting ready for bed, and my mother and father were too so i was talking to them, and i found an old folder of mine. it wasn't full of my stuff though, it had been emptied and turned into a journal of sorts by my mother. i started reading it and i realized right away that i shouldn't, so i set it down and let it slide. it was a few days later that i went back to it, because i had to know what it was about. i had my assumptions, but i wanted to know if i was right or wrong. i was partially right, but my timing was off.
my mother still hasn't forgiven my dad completely for what happened last summer. i was reading the journal entry, and she was talking about leaving and not ever coming back. i remember when she left before, and it wasn't a happy time. this note was written in february. i felt every stab of sadness as she wrote about leaving and never looking or coming back. she wouldn't just be leaving my dad, she would be leaving my family.
it was sunday morning, and i decided there was no time like the present to confront my mother about the journal. i asked her how things were going. she started to cry, and said that she was concerned for me, she didn't want me to make the same mistake in choosing a complacent husband. the fact that she thinks part of it was a mistake was a stab yet again. i then asked if they had gotten better than last summer. she was silent for a time, and i could see that they hadn't. she then said that they hadn't gotten worse.
i don't think that anyone else in my family knows. my brothers are to busy fighting with each other at times to notice anything else, and my sisters don't live here. although at times i wish i could be elsewhere, i know that i need to be here. i can't just leave them and hope for the best, i will leave them in august, but for now, they need me. i'm not sure how, or why, but i need to be here.
to end on a happier note, i just got home, and in the fridge there was koolaid. it's very tasty, and my favorite drawer is still loaded with candy. peace out childrens!

2 comments:

Holly F. said...

Oh, Roxy, thanks so much for keeping us updated on your life! And I hope that everything will turn out the way you want it to, especially the candy drawer. :) Looooooove you!

Julie said...

I love you. I really love you.